Whether it’s losing your travel documents, forgetting to pack a jacket, or overpaying for transportation – it is totally normal to make mistakes when you are an inexperienced traveler. The more you travel, the more you will learn. In any case, we have prepared a list of 10 travel tips anybody can use, both beginner travelers and experienced ones who might need a refresher.
1. Save money on flights
Flight tickets are easily one of the more costly expenses when it comes to traveling, but it really doesn’t have to, if you just follow a few tips.
- Whenever you can, avoid direct flights as they are usually more expensive.
- Instead, choose connecting flights and use the opportunity to explore the city you are passing through as well.
- Another money saver would be combining flights and train/bus rides to reach your final destination.
- By signing up for airline newsletters and flight deal websites, you can also catch some great discounts.
- Check out our guide for tips on how to find the cheapest airfares
2. Copy your travel documents
you. Preferably, keep them in separate places for maximum security.
3. Exchange currency beforehand
It is always advised to carry some cash in the local currency. Before heading to your destination, research where you can get the best exchange rates.
- You should also always avoid airport exchange vendors, as they tend to take huge conversion fees.
4. Rise early
Even if you are not a morning person, you will not regret waking up early during your travels. Think fewer crowds, avoiding the heat, and more time to explore the destination.
If you are into photography, you will also appreciate the soft morning light for your photos.
5. Always bargain
Normally, tourists end up overpaying just because they are too embarrassed to ask for a reasonable price. Politely investigate how low the vendor could go. If you don’t reach an agreement, you can just walk away – you have nothing to lose.
6. Your camera is your best friend
Utilize your camera for more than just taking touristic photos. Make sure you take a photo of the bad condition of your luggage after a flight, your travel documents in case you lose them, and the scratches on your rental car when picking it up.
7. Find hidden gems
Try to avoid over-tourism and visiting mainstream spots. Instead, browse Instagram‘s hashtags and location tags of your destination – you might find a hidden gem that you wouldn’t have discovered otherwise. Another way of discovering unique spots is by talking to the locals! Ask them what their favorite place to eat is, or their favorite beach. They will likely suggest something that is of high quality, while not overcrowded.
8. Always pack a jacket
9. Wear sunscreen
probably not used to such a strong UV index, and you will burn quickly and easily. Save
yourself the discomfort and the embarrassment and slather on some sunblock.